JUMPGA – Fitness Redefined
JUMPGA, ENDORSED BY Yoga Alliance Professionals, combines high and low-intensity cardio with yoga. It was born from periods of self-experimentation following a hip resurfacing operation. Doing fitness training on a mini rebounder means you will not jar the physical body as much as you would on solid ground. It is also perfect for rehabilitation as it is very gentle on your joints.
Part of the programme uses the rebounder as a prop during yoga sequences. It enables you to feel the benefits of the postures regardless of your level of flexibility, age or physical condition. It can help you access and modify poses you might not otherwise be able to do as you learn the fundamentals of yoga. For example, placing the hands on the rebounder in the Downward Dog pose can help less flexible people lengthen their spine and hamstrings. Similarly, lying on the rebounder can strengthen the lumbar spine in poses like Bridge. Keeping the yoga asana element simple makes it easier to perform the postures, no matter how inflexible or unfit a person is.
JUMPGA is a complete holistic cycle – from ecstatic jumping to the peaceful meditative state of Savasana. Physically, the fitness part of the programme produces molecular changes in the muscle, like going for a long run and lifting weights, thus providing the same cardiovascular benefits of prolonged endurance training but in much less time, minor damage to the joints and with a lot more fun.
“JUMPGA, the new yoga and trampolining
hybrid – might be the one for you.”
Madeleine Howell Telegraph newspaper
Iyengar's ingenious use of props helped practitioners at all levels to gain the sensitivity of a pose and receive the benefits over time without over-extending themselves. Students could practise the poses and breath control with greater effectiveness, ease, and stability. It is a yoga asana for the "average" person. Keeping the yoga asana element simple makes it easier to perform the postures, no matter how inflexible or unfit people think they are.
How do you define yoga? JumpGa will be the most potent form of movement: a complete holistic cycle – from ecstatic jumping to the peaceful meditative state of savasana. Physically, it produces molecular changes in muscle, similar to going for a long run and lifting weights. Thus, it provides the same fitness benefits as prolonged endurance training in less time.
“It’s a great workout for Balance, Cardio, and strength.”
The benefits of yoga asana are well documented: flexibility, focus, breath awareness and core strength. Adding the JUMPGA components also enhances:
● Metabolic rate – The metabolic rate increase can last 24 hours. During this time, the body continues the accelerated breakdown of sugars and fats, processing oxygen and building muscle.
● Weight loss – The excellent news for calorie counters is that rebounding puts the numbers on their side. Someone weighing 75 kilos who goes for a 30-minute jog expends energy equal to about 175 calories. The time spent doing JUMPGA fitness burns 205 calories – and it's way more fun!
● Circulatory system – Jumping on a rebounder increases heart rate, oxygen uptake and efficiency of the lymphatic drainage system. The focus on breathing (Pranayama) boosts physical and mental well-being. It becomes a whole-body workout that strengthens the heart and lungs and increases the immune system.
● Muscles – Exercising on a rebounder works for all the muscle groups. Steady bouncing for a few minutes can improve your well-being or push fitness levels through the roof with the JUMPGA sequence of yoga asanas, plyometrics and callisthenics, making it the best all-around training programme.
● Flexibility – JUMPGA strengthens, lengthens and tones muscles, all simultaneously.
● Bone density – It is well documented that jumping can also enhance bone density, which will help prevent bone fractures and the onset of osteoporosis.
● Joint, tendon and ligament function – The strengthening of joints, tendons and ligaments can help reduce the chances of arthritis and lessen the pain in some arthritic joints.
Although designed as a home yoga fitness program, JUMPGA became the most publicised class at Champneys - the UK's No1 health spa group and introduced yoga asana to the most resistant people, including professional boxers and footballers.